Friday, November 29, 2013

First Week of Braces

Wow, I do not remember braces hurting me this much 15 years ago.  I have been in real pain.  I haven't eaten much that needs chewing.  I guess it's preparing me for my 6 week surgery recovery.

Tuesday and Wednesday were days 2-3 and I basically felt like someone kicked me in the mouth. My teeth and gums hurt, and the inside of my mouth was all torn up from the braces brushing against it.

Thursday (Day 4 of braces) was Thanksgiving.  I was starting to feel a little better.  I was still in pain, but luckily mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, & stuffing don't need much chewing!!

Today was Friday, and I definitely felt better than yesterday.  I'd say I'm about 70% there.  It really does take about a week to get used to the braces and for the pain to subside.  I was only expecting a little soreness for one day, but it was much worse than that!!

My advice to anyone getting braces would be:
1. Eat lots of crunchy good before because you won't be able to chew hard stuff for a week.
2. Stock up on yogurt, applesauce, smoothie ingredients, pasta, soup, etc.  I ate pasta with olive oil for 3 days straight because I barely had to chew it.
3. Make sure you have ibuprofen.
4. Keep cold drinks and foods like ice cream around.  The ortho told me my wires are temperature sensitive and cold things help with the pain.
5. Wax!  It's a must.  I put it on all my "hot spots."
6. Chapstick. Also a must.
7. Mouthwash helps because flossing and brushing still hurt.


I have more to post about, but I'll try to space it out some.  I've got 7 weeks until my next Ortho appointment!

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment